[Haskell-cafe] Compilation of large data

Dušan Kolář kolar at fit.vut.cz
Fri Jan 29 09:57:07 UTC 2021

Dear Café,

How can I compile large data in the source code? The data structure contains a few
numerical and String constants and a long list of structures (containing two short lists of
Strings).

If I use ghci, it's fine, no problem (until some size). When I want to compile then I run
out of memory (32GB, plus 32GB swap) on arch linux. Yes, machine with 256GB solved
temporarily the problem, but only temporarily.

The data is generated (about 10.000 elements for the list and more). Should it be read
from the file during the runtime? Should the structure be somehow decoupled (to small
lists, each of them in a separate file)? Or there is no way, how to make it work... :-(

If I use different input, a bit smaller, which I can compile, the resulting binary is rather
small, less than 7MB.

Regards

Dušan