[Haskell-cafe] A quick question about distribution of finite maps.

MigMit migmit at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:26:28 UTC 2021

Actually, it's pretty easy to construct a type `P x y`, so that Maybe (P x y) ~ (Maybe x, Maybe y). It would be

data OneOrBoth x y = Left' x | Right' y | Both x y

The isomorphism is, I think, obvious

iso1 :: Maybe (OneOrBoth x y) -> (Maybe x, Maybe y)
iso1 Nothing = (Nothing, Nothing)
iso1 (Just (Left' x)) = (Just x, Nothing)
iso1 (Just (Right' y)) = (Nothing, Just y)
iso1 (Just (Both x y)) = (Just x, Just y)

iso2 :: (Maybe x, Maybe y) -> Maybe (OneOrBoth x y)
iso2 = -- left as an excersize for the reader

And indeed, "OneOrBoth" would be a cartesian product functor in the category of finite types (and maps).

But it won't be cartesian closed. If it were, then for any finite X and Y we should have

Maybe (X^Y) ~
() -> Maybe (X^Y) ~
OneOrBoth () Y -> Maybe X ~
(() -> Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X, ((), Y) -> Maybe X) ~
(Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X)

so

X^Y ~ (X, Y -> Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X)

But then

Z -> Maybe (X^Y) ~
Z -> (Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X) ~
(Z -> Maybe X, (Z, Y) -> Maybe X, (Z, Y) -> Maybe X) ~

and

OneOrBoth Z Y -> Maybe X ~
(Z -> Maybe X, Y -> Maybe X, (Z, Y) -> Maybe X)

We see that those aren't the same, they have a different number of elements, so, no luck.