[Haskell-cafe] A quick question about distribution of finite maps.

Tom Smeding x at tomsmeding.com
Sat Jan 9 09:21:29 UTC 2021

Hi Ignat,

A ghci session:

Prelude> import Test.QuickCheck
Prelude Test.QuickCheck> import qualified Data.Map.Strict as Map
Prelude Test.QuickCheck Map> import Data.Map.Strict (Map)
Prelude Test.QuickCheck Map Data.Map.Strict> let distribute = Map.unionsWith Map.union . Map.mapWithKey (fmap . Map.singleton)
Prelude Test.QuickCheck Map Data.Map.Strict> quickCheck $ \m -> distribute (distribute m) == (m :: Map Int (Map Int Int))
*** Failed! Falsified (after 2 tests and 2 shrinks):
fromList [(0,fromList [])]
Prelude Test.QuickCheck Map Data.Map.Strict> distribute (Map.singleton 1 mempty)
fromList []

It seems your property fails with the map `fromList [(0, fromList [])]`. I'm not sure if you need it to work for that case; I'm not a category theorist.

Cheers,
Tom