[Haskell-cafe] upload file with ftp

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jan 6 20:04:58 UTC 2021

Am 06.01.21 um 10:42 schrieb Kees Bleijenberg:
> Joachim, Brandon,
>
> After investigating the source for the store command in  Network.FTP.Client (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/ftp-client-0.5.1.4/docs/Network-FTP-Client.html) I found that the stor command already sets the connection in passive mode. I tried my original code on Linux and everything works fine. So probably the problem is (as always) Windows.

Unlikely it's Windows' network stack - there is nothing special about an
outgoing FTP connection.

> A few years ago I tried some Haskell ftp client libs. On Windows they all raised access violations as soon as I connected to a server. Now,  a few years later the Network library has improved (not sure) and I tried it again. Big improvements: Login, get a list of files, change directory works fine but stor does not.  So there is still no working FTP-client lib for Haskell (I think).

Or the difference is that you have a different firewall setup.
Possibly caused by Windows itself, or maybe some antivirus product.

You should be able to test this hypothesis by using telnet or some other
program that allows you to open any port.

Access violations are typically the result of opening a reserved port
without proper permissions.

> I know FTP is not secure but it is easy to use.

It is not, actually. You have to worry about:
* passive vs. normal mode,
* text vs. binary mode (text mode is obsolete since more than a decade),
* directory listings being misrepresented because
   * encoding issues
   * some FTP server with its own idea of how to represent these
     (manageable with command-line clients, GUI clients may fall over)
* flipped bits (TCP does only so much here),
* aborted transfers (supported but not with client/server mismatch)
* security: your FTP password is visible to anybody in the same network
   segment (including malware they might have caught).

rsync, sftp and scp eliminate every single one of these worries.

Almost everybody uses it for uploading files to a website.

Actually the vast majority of file uploads go through HTTP POST
nowadays. It's been over a decade since I have even seen something with
an FTP upload, though I guess very old services might still stick to it
just because upgrading is a pretty big step for all parties involved.

My knee-jerk reaction to an FTP upload site: Big Red Flag.
Admins who ignore basic security advice, like not offering a server site
that forces you to send passwords in the clear.
(sftp is NOT affected by this. Protocol-wise, it's a totally different
technology.)

> Writing code for uploading a file with http(s)in Haskell is a lot more work than ftp and I wonder whether the https stuff will work on Windows.

Between Linux and Windows, HTTPS does not have any significant differences.
Hmm... well, okay, it is different if you want to use the system's proxy
settings and certificate store. I don't know how that works, so I can't
say much about this.

However, I believe the bigger difference is between HTTP and HTTPS.
Setting up the certificates and doing the connection handshake is a
pretty complicated stuff.
I don't know good the Haskell https libraries are at this; at least for
Java, I can report that the default libraries do work but aren't exactly
good at controlling the connection parameters or accurately reporting
error situations. (That's why everybody uses Apache HttpClient, except
the people who wrote the legacy app I'm tasked with maintaining and
improving... well, if everything worked, there wouldn't interesting
work, so there :-) )

> And  with http(s) you have to write an extra server side program (php) to save the uploaded file, return error messages...
> I just want a simple way to upload a generated file to my private website.

Use the SSH-based protocols then - either sftp/ssh (server side is the
same, but without root access setup can be complicated) or rsync (almost
universally available, and setting up an rsync server should be simple).

Caveat: I don't know whether Haskell libraries for any of these exist.

BTW dealing with HTTP POST is easier than setting up your own server.
Been there, done that, on both sides.

> Until now I upload a file by running a program within my Haskell program. That ftp-program sends a file with ftp to a server. The ftp-program is written in Delphi/Lazarus.

In that case, you'll be better off just falling back to rsync.
Expect to spend an afternoon sifting through the options if you want to
transfer entire directories.
If your server doesn't know how to handle rsync and you can't isntall
it: Use a different provider.

FTP is generally the worst option, in oh so many ways.
Really. Scout's honor.

Regards,
Jo