[Haskell-cafe] Problem with stack

YueCompl compl.yue at icloud.com
Thu Feb 25 18:31:36 UTC 2021

Yes, NFSv3 client side locking works pretty well so long as no shared concurrent write happens. A single node's os would assume successful lock for it to write to a file, when multiple nodes do this concurrently, the file will be corrupted. As with stack it can happen and rendering the tool unusable.

But NFSv4 server side locking can leave dead locks appear live, leading stack to wait forever. So we stay client side locking, and carefully have each node use different path on the shared storage for .stack folders, then reinitialize it in case corrupted by accident.