[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] HGeometry-0.12

Lemmih lemmih at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:59:07 UTC 2021

It is our great pleasure to announce version 0.12 of HGeometry!

HGeometry is a swiss army knife for computational geometry. Wondering if a
point is inside a polygon? HGeometry will tell you. Looking for the
shortest path inside a maze? HGeometry will light your way. Planning a
museum heist? HGeometry will show you the camera blindspots in O(n log n)
time!

Check out our website for more: https://hgeometry.org/

HGeometry is open to contributors at all levels of Haskell experience and
we have a list of weekend-sized projects. Ask in the Discord server for
guidance and/or pair programming.

New in 0.12:
- Algorithms:
  - Visibility polygon in O(n log n).
  - Earclip triangulation in O(n^2) worst case, O(n) expected case.
  - Single-source shortest path in O(n).
  - Planar point locator in O(log n).
  - Point set diameter in O(n log n).
  - Convex hull of a polygon in O(n).
  - Diameter of a convex polygon in O(n).
  - Check if a point lies inside a convex polygon in O(n).
- Bug fixes and improved numerical robustness.
- Property testing and several methods for generating random polygons.
- See changelog.org for an exhaustive list of changes.

Future developments:
- Bring Haddock documentation coverage up to 100%. Currently, we're in the
low eighties.
- A holistic approach to demonstrating correctness:
   - Proven algorithms.
   - Unit testing for hand-picked corner cases.
   - Property testing with randomly generated polygons / geometric data.
   - Exhaustive property testing with real-world datasets (osm).
- Benchmarks to show the relative performance of HGeometry's many
algorithms.

Contributors:
- Frank Staals, @noinia
- David Himmelstrup, @Lemmih