[Haskell-cafe] Global Package Install

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 03:38:50 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 1:18 PM Richard Eisenberg <rae at richarde.dev> wrote:

> > On Feb 18, 2021, at 3:48 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >    $ cabal repl -v0 -z --repl-options -package=iproute --repl-options
> -XOverloadedStrings
>
> Yes, but it's so, so much easier just to say `ghci`. And then I can pass
> lots of options to `ghci` directly when I want to. And I don't have to
> spend time writing and maintaining wrapper scripts.

I've been using the global db for the last 15 years or so and never came
across cabal hell. I don't really know why but maybe one reason is that I
wrote an uninstaller right in the beginning and then would only allow a
single version of each package.

Nowadays I also use nix and it's good for experiments but the old fashioned
way still works fine and is more convenient. I've never actually used cabal
repl.

So I say go ahead and v1-install it works fine.