[Haskell-cafe] Pattern matching desugaring regression? Re: Why does my module take so long to compile?

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:13:00 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'm not sure I see all the context of the conversation, but it is entirely
possible that code with many local constraints regresses the pattern-match
checker (which is accounted to Desugaring in the profile emitted by -v2),
I'm afraid. That simply has to do with the fact that we now actually care
about them, previously they were mostly discarded.

I'd be glad if you submitted a relatively isolated reproducer of what is
fast with 8.8 and slow with 8.10 (even better 9.0).
I hope that things have improved since we fixed
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/17836, which is part of 9.0 but
not of 8.10.

Cheers,
Sebastian