[Haskell-cafe] Surprising lack of generalisation

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Thu Feb 11 15:28:53 UTC 2021

> On Feb 11, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Oleg Grenrus <oleg.grenrus at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> The "the variable has an explicit type signature that has no free type variables" additions seems arbitrary, it's not motivated in the manual. How much of the "real code" will break if it is removed?

A very good question. But I think one that's better to ask in a ticket, so we don't lose these pieces. The question is: do we want to be dumb but predictable, or clever but capricious? Tom seems to be moving toward the latter, while Oleg seems to moving toward the former. I tend to prefer dumb but predictable, too, but I don't know how much code would break. Right now, I think we're dumb and capricious, so that's an unhappy place to be.

Richard