[Haskell-cafe] ANN: NASA's ogma

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:26:38 UTC 2021

Dear café

We are thrilled to announce the release of Ogma, a new open-source NASA
tool, written in Haskell, to generate hard-realtime C runtime monitoring
applications from high-level specifications.

Ogma takes the output of existing tools, like NASA's requirements
elicitation tool FRET [2], and produces monitors in Copilot [3], a runtime
verification language that can be compiled to hard-realtime C99.

Ogma is also able to produce monitoring applications for NASA's Core Flight
System (cFS), which can be compiled alongside existing applications to flag
requirement violations.

On the website you will see several videos, including one with a FRET
requirement being monitored inside the XPlane flight simulator by taking
the code generated by Ogma and making it accessible to the simualtor via a
custom on-screen plugin.

This is research-only software (Class E) and it has not been certified for
use in aircraft or UAVs. We are currently using it for upcoming experiments
at NASA Langley.

We'd like to also take this opportunity to publicly thank the team that
creates BNFC, for their tool, their response to technical questions during
the development of ogma, and for accommodations made to help us speed up
our release process.

If you have any issues, feel free to open a ticket in the github repo
directly.

Happy haskelling,

[1] https://github.com/NASA/ogma
[2] https://github.com/NASA-SW-VnV/fret