[Haskell-cafe] What is Data.Vec.DataFamily.SpineStrict.Pigeonhole and why is it following me?

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Wed Dec 1 08:41:26 UTC 2021

> This <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vec-0.4/docs/Data-Vec-DataFamily-SpineStrict-Pigeonhole.html> in Hackage is something a rank amateur like me can't fathom. ... Anyone know how I can figure this mystery out, like at least find the author or someone that knows something about this?

Regarding this part of the question, if you click the "Contents" link at
the top of the page to which you linked, it will take you to the package
main page (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vec-0.4). The column on
the right gives the author's name and email address, and a link to the
source repository (https://github.com/phadej/vec).

The main column on that page gives the package description, which may
help explain and motivate what is going on a bit more. In this case it
also links to some relevant papers.

Hope this helps,

Adam

On 29/11/2021 04:59, David Feuer wrote:
> No, this seems to have nothing to do with the pigeonhole principle. It
> seems to be about the sizes of length-indexed vectors. The "pigeonhole
> size" is just the vector length, available at the type level. This all
> seems to be about matching up vectors to representable functors. So it
> would match up
>
>     data Foo a = Foo a a a a
>
> to the type of vectors of length 4, giving functions to convert between
> them. I'm ... not exactly sure what purpose this serves.
>
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2021, 11:07 PM Galaxy Being <borgauf at gmail.com
> <mailto:borgauf at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Spam detection software, running on the system "mail.haskell.org
>     <http://mail.haskell.org>", has
>     identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The original message
>     has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label
>     similar future email.  If you have any questions, see
>     @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@ for details.
>
>     Content preview:  This
>     <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vec-0.4/docs/Data-Vec-DataFamily-SpineStrict-Pigeonhole.html
>     <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/vec-0.4/docs/Data-Vec-DataFamily-SpineStrict-Pigeonhole.html>>
>        in Hackage is something a rank amateur like me can't fathom. I
>     just hit a
>        chapter in a book that dives into the Pigeonhole Principle. Is
>     this the "accompanying
>        Haskell Wundercode" for the math world's PHP? I know PHP is a big
>     deal in
>        math. I don't see an "author," and I see no documentation. Anyone
>     know how
>        I can figure this mystery out, like at least find the author or
>     someone that
>        knows something about this? [...]
>
>     Content analysis details:   (5.0 points, 5.0 required)
>
>      pts rule name              description
>     ---- ----------------------
>     --------------------------------------------------
>      0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM          Sender email is commonly abused enduser
>     mail provider
>                                 (borgauf[at]gmail.com <http://gmail.com>)
>     -0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF record
>     -0.0 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 20 to 40%
>                                 [score: 0.3039]
>      5.0 UNWANTED_LANGUAGE_BODY BODY: Message written in an undesired
>     language
>      0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>      0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID         DKIM-Signature header exists but is not
>     valid
>
>     The original message was not completely plain text, and may be unsafe to
>     open with some email clients; in particular, it may contain a virus,
>     or confirm that your address can receive spam.  If you wish to view
>     it, it may be safer to save it to a file and open it with an editor.

Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
118 Wymering Mansions, Wymering Road, London W9 2NF, England