[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 9.2.1-rc1 now available
ben at well-typed.com
Sun Aug 22 21:56:37 UTC 2021
The GHC developers are very happy to announce the availability of the
release cadidate of the 9.2.1 release. Binary distributions, source
distributions, and documentation are available at
GHC 9.2 will bring a number of exciting features including:
* A native code generation backend for AArch64, significantly speeding
compilation time on ARM platforms like the Apple M1.
* Many changes in the area of records, including the new
`RecordDotSyntax` and `NoFieldSelectors` language extensions, as well
as Support for `DuplicateRecordFields` with `PatternSynonyms`.
* Introduction of the new `GHC2021` language extension set, giving
users convenient access to a larger set of language extensions which
have been long considered stable.
* Merge of `ghc-exactprint` into the GHC tree, providing infrastructure
for source-to-source program rewriting out-of-the-box.
* Introduction of a `BoxedRep` `RuntimeRep`, allowing for polymorphism
over levity of boxed objects (#17526)
* Implementation of the `UnliftedDataTypes` extension, allowing users
to define types which do not admit lazy evaluation ([proposal])
* The new [-hi profiling] mechanism which provides significantly
improved insight into thunk leaks.
* Support for the `ghc-debug` out-of-process heap inspection library
* Support for profiling of pinned objects with the cost-centre profiler
* Introduction of Haddock documentation support in TemplateHaskell (#5467)
Finally, thank you to Microsoft Research, GitHub, IOHK, the Zw3rk stake
pool, Tweag I/O, Serokell, Equinix, SimSpace, and other anonymous
contributors whose on-going financial and in-kind support has
facilitated GHC maintenance and release management over the years.
Moreover, this release would not have been possible without the hundreds
of open-source contributors whose work comprise this release.
As always, do give this release a try and open a [ticket] if you see
[-hi profiling]: https://well-typed.com/blog/2021/01/first-look-at-hi-profiling-mode/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 487 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Haskell-Cafe