[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Unlock instructions

Christopher Conforti christopher at conforti.xyz
Sun Aug 22 12:55:54 UTC 2021

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:54:48 -0400
Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2021-August/020102.html

It's almost as if big, single points of failure are not as resilient as
a distributed web (or "bazaar") of independently-hosted sources. :-P

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Distributed-Git-Distributed-Workflows

I promise I'm not trying to be rude here, and the GHC team may
already utilize one of these models; I freely admit that I do not know
those details. It's just I see this sort of thing a lot and it can
sometimes be incredibly destructive to projects; the solution--hosting
one's own git server--is simple, effective, and inexpensive. (I have
one and it costs me only $3.50/mo so I have basically no reason not to
have one.)

The only reason I can imagine that the practice isn't more widespread
is that people are concerned about security. A good host will make that
easier, and after the application of a few simple rules a much more
secure system is possible with not that much effort at all.

Food for thought.

--
Christopher Conforti