[Haskell-cafe] The State of GHC 8.10

Zubin Duggal zubin at well-typed.com
Sun Aug 22 09:31:00 UTC 2021

I should clarify. By "retiring" I mean that we will not backport any
more features or bug fixes to the 8.10 branch or put out new releases
once 8.10.7 is out. Of course, this will only be the case if nothing
critical comes up (for some definition of critical). We fully intend
to ensure that GHC 8.10(.7) is a stable and robust release, ready for
production use. This was the very purpose of my initial email, to ensure
that there are no hidden release breaking bugs lurking somewhere. As
of now, the only "critical" issue we know of in the 8.10.6 release is
#19950, which will be resolved in 8.10.7.

We encourage you to use GHC 8.10 as an end user or library developer,
the previous email is not in any way meant to imply that we are asking
you to migrate off of GHC 8.10.

The purpose was simply to make sure that any (release critical) issue
faced by users of GHC 8.10 is resolved in time for 8.10.7 so there is
no further need of additional releases in the 8.10 series.