[Haskell-cafe] Different advice for type classes for end-user app and libraries?

Ruben Astudillo ruben.astud at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:41:04 UTC 2021

Hello list!

Currently I am working a end user application. Through the years I had
incorporated the advice from r/haskell that classes without laws were not
desirable. Their lack meant that we didn't have a contract boundary that
should be respected by the instances. They secretly could `throw exc` on
their implementation and you wouldn't notice.

But on the current app I am working on, I follow the advice from this
blogpost [1] that I should use classes for domain modelling. This manifest
on classes like

    class UserQueryCapability f where
        getUser :: Id -> f User

for interacting with a DB. Functions can be written against the interface
and I can mock up with QuickCheck some pretty broad cases. The classes
usually don't have a superclass constrain on `Monad` as in `MonadReader`
because I *cannot* establish a law relating the monadic behavior and
`getUser`. The name has Capability in it and not Monad because I won't lie
that way.

Making sure that these effect classes are orthogonal is something I have to
check by hand. But in the back of my head there is the concern about the
lack of laws could bite me even on a end user-app. Is my intuition well
founded that this case is OK?

Thanks for your time!

[1]: https://www.parsonsmatt.org/2018/03/22/three_layer_haskell_cake.html

--