[Haskell-cafe] Why not some subclass of Floating to model NaNs as some handleable bottom?

YueCompl compl.yue at icloud.com
Sat Aug 7 08:16:21 UTC 2021

Another failed attempt:

λ> :set -XTypeSynonymInstances
λ> :set -XFlexibleInstances
λ>
λ> data Q = Q
λ>
λ> type NonNegativeNumber = ([Q],[Q])
λ> :{
λ|   instance Num NonNegativeNumber where
λ|     (l,r) * (l',r') = ([x*x'|x <- l, x' <- l'],[y*y'|y <- r, y' <- r'])
λ| :}

<interactive>:12:25: error:
    • No instance for (Num Q) arising from a use of ‘*’
    • In the expression: x * x'
      In the expression: [x * x' | x <- l, x' <- l']
      In the expression:
        ([x * x' | x <- l, x' <- l'], [y * y' | y <- r, y' <- r'])
λ>
λ> zero  = ([],Q)
λ> infty = (Q,[])
λ> zero * infty

<interactive>:17:8: error:
    • Couldn't match type ‘Q’ with ‘[a]’
      Expected type: ([a], Q)
        Actual type: (Q, [a0])
    • In the second argument of ‘(*)’, namely ‘infty’
      In the expression: zero * infty
      In an equation for ‘it’: it = zero * infty
    • Relevant bindings include
        it :: ([a], Q) (bound at <interactive>:17:1)
λ>