[Haskell-cafe] Why not some subclass of Floating to model NaNs as some handleable bottom?

YueCompl compl.yue at icloud.com
Wed Aug 4 14:56:14 UTC 2021

`Eq` relies on the established `Bool` type, then can we solve it, if given algebraic effects & handlers, by Church-encoding an effectful Boolean type? e.g.

true === \a b -> a
false === \a b -> b
cmpWithNaN === \a b -> perform ComparingWithNaN

Then (==) and (/=) in `Eq`, together with friends in `Ord` like (>) (<) all return `cmpWithNaN` when at least one NaN is involved.

This mechanism is open so all kinds of anomalies can be handled similarly, otherwise even we have all NaN, Inf, Underflow, Overflow etc. handled well, there must be more situations we haven't thought of.