[Haskell-cafe] Explanation of Data.Set, please

Ruben Astudillo ruben.astud at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 01:20:09 UTC 2021

You are asking too much from Data.Set. This module is capturing the notion
of a *finite* collection of elements. It deals with a data structure view of
set, where you want to use have good performance for the following operations.

  - lookup
  - insertion (no duplicate elements)
  - removal
  - cardinality
  - union / intersection

The needs of the previous function guided the bang patterns/UNPACK on the
definition of the data structure and the use of a balanced tree.

--
-- Rubén. pgp: 4EE9 28F7 932E F4AD