[Haskell-cafe] Safe Haskell?

Ignat Insarov kindaro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:16:33 UTC 2021

Maybe the problem is really that Safe Haskell is not taken to be a
default good practice?

For example, it is easy to know that I should be setting `-Wall`, but
hard to know that I should also enable some other warnings not
included in `-Wall`. I know the latter because I read some blog posts
somewhere and figured there is a consensus that these additional
warnings are good, so I enable them by default.

For Safe Haskell, I have not read any such blog posts and I have no
idea whether it is a good practice to enable it. This feature is not
discoverable. This may be a marketing problem.

I have a template for my Haskell projects that enables a bunch of
extra warnings, language extensions that I like to have enabled by
default, dependencies that I wish were in `base`, and so on. Should
Safe Haskell go into that template?