[Haskell-cafe] Template Haskell question

Finn Teegen fte at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Apr 27 14:38:33 UTC 2021

I have tried the examples as well and, indeed, I get a shadowing warning
for the first example (along with an unused warning).

ghci> :set -XTemplateHaskell -Wall
ghci> let f x $([p| x |]) = x in f 1 2
warning: This binding for 'x' shadows...
warning: Defined but not used: 'x'

However, for the second example I only get the unused warning.

ghci> let f $([p| x |]) x = x in f 1 2
warning: Defined but not used: 'x'

This still seems to be a bit inconsistent (not mentioning that I would
also expect both examples to fail because of non-linear occurrences of 'x').

Cheers,
Finn