[Haskell-cafe] repeat confusion

Jeff Clites jclites at mac.com
Fri Apr 23 16:57:52 UTC 2021

With transpose, you get a pattern match failure if you try to transpose an empty list, and with transpose2 you get an infinite list (of empty lists). Those are in a sense two ways of representing failure, if you take an empty list to not be a valid matrix.

But the second definition “works” because zip (or zipWith) of two lists stops when either list runs out (so you can zip an infinite list with a finite one to get a finite result).

I guess the point is to observe that the “transpose [xs]” case is just a specialization of the “transpose (xs:xss)” if you choose “transpose []” carefully. I’m not sure if that’s deeply significant, though it’s a good thing to watch for (special cases that don’t need to be separate cases). In this situation it does make the failure case exotic though.

Jeff