[Haskell-cafe] Safe Haskell?

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Apr 21 18:24:29 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 08:45:03AM -0400, Mario wrote:

> If your main goal is a defensive position you shouldn't be in an open
> field to begin with. You should encamp on a high ground, with plenty of
> nearby lumber to build ramparts, and a secure source of fresh water to
> withstand a siege. That kind of position limits your maneuverability,
> admittedly, but it's much easier to protect.

On the topic of whether safety can/should be in the language or be
implemented via containerisation, much depends on the details of how the
language goes about sandboxing.

Some decades back I've used Safe Tcl to limit what untrusted scripts can
execute in a server process.  With Safe Tcl one populates the untrusted
interpreted with a very limited set of verbs and optional aliases into
wrapper verbs that run in a separate trusted interpreter.  The wrapper
verbs can inspect the arguments of restricted commands and allow only
appropriate access.

Similar features are likely available by embedding Lua or another
similar interpreter where it is possible to explicitly expose only a
specific language dialect.  Such designs tend to be robust.

On the other hand, I've always been sceptical of the sandboxing in Java,
it was much too complex to be obviously correct, and the long history of
bugs in Java applet sandboxing justified the scepticism.  Fortunately we
longer use Java applets, though JavaScript security in browsers
continues to be challenging.

So it should not be surprising that I'd also be sceptical of any strong
safety claims from Safe Haskell.  It seems unlikely to be simple enough
to be "obviously correct".  This does not mean that it can't be a useful
element of defense in depth, but it is difficult to envision how it
would be sufficient on its own.

The challenge with Safe Haskell, unlike with safe Tcl, is that there is
no hard separation between the untrusted and trusted components of the
program, they're only separated by static analysis, not separation into
distinct execution engines with a controlled communication channel as
with Safe Tcl and slave interpreters.

For Safe Haskell to be safe, I'd want to see internal virtualisation,
with untrusted code using a stripped down RTS that is incapable of
supporting external I/O, and all unsafe operations proxied into a
separate trusted RTS running separately compiled code.

All unsafe operations in the untrusted RTS would then need to be
RPC calls into the trusted RTS.

The difficulty is though that unlike the case with Tcl, many basic
Haskell libraries that export safe pure interfaces, internally use
unsafe interfaces (e.g. raw memory access) for performance reasons.
So it is rather unclear how to expose a usable untrusted subset of the
language except through static analysis (type level guarantess) of the
sort that I'm reluctant to trust as a result of high complexity.

So while I take no position on whether Safe Haskell should or should not
be abandoned, I agree that it is a valid question because the problem is
rather non-trivial, and it is not clear whether it is actually possible to
implement a sufficiently robust design.

--
    Viktor.