[Haskell-cafe] Safe Haskell?

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:36:22 UTC 2021

Am Mi., 21. Apr. 2021 um 14:55 Uhr schrieb Mario <blamario at rogers.com>:

> [...] No general-purpose language (open field) is. You want to design from
> scratch, starting with
> a secure core language (high ground). You can use Haskell as an
> inspiration; Marlowe and probably some other blockchain languages do.

That's not totally correct: You can use anything you like when you have a
sandbox while executing it. This is even much more safe than relying on a
language (which can have conceptual and/or implementation bugs) alone. The
attack surface of any non-trivial language, its implementation and its
runtime is just too big for anything serious. Sandboxes are complex, too,
but less so, and you implement them once and you can use them for many
things. Having said that, my personal view is that Safe Haskell has almost
no valid use case anymore, given the various sandboxing technologies
available today. But that's just my 2c...

Cheers,
   S.