[Haskell-cafe] Safe Haskell?

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 19:31:20 UTC 2021

I do not object!

I did use SafeHaskell long ago, to provide a server that executed student
code in a class.  It lasted for a year or so, and caused me great anxiety
because I was never entirely sure that it was really safe.  At a minimum,
it required a bunch of extra logic at build time, careful monitoring of
resource usage, etc.  I now believe that this use case is far better served
by virtualization, which is now a quite well-supported feature across all
major operating systems.  It would be a big mistake for someone today to
try to accomplish with SafeHaskell what is better accomplished with a
virtual machine.