[Haskell-cafe] Designing a "living will" for my packages on Hackage

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 19:41:29 UTC 2021

I think having your personal policy, however phrased, in the readme or a
linked document about maintainership / nmu bug fix stance life cycle is a
great idea.

I should note that this is actually articulating the *governance* of your
project and there can’t really be a one size fit all template.  Like, no
commits for n months may be fine for a research effort  or a stable lib
 that has no bugs, but is very different when long standing bugs that are
reproducible and have real user impact around correctness / performance /
new compiler compat.

Note that what I mean is that ultimately: you are the current owner of your
project. Governance here actually means you are explicitly publishing a
pseudo (in that we arent lawyers here mostly ) legal document articulating
a) what conditions you pre authorize an non maintainer update and or b)
under what conditions you either designate certain folks should become
designated co maintainers with various fall backs c) under what conditions
you transfer associated intellectual property to a new entity or human for
stewardship of your project

This can get pretty thorny or nuanced , hence why various large enough
prjects get a foundation organized around them often, but is never a bad
thing to think about if you’re concerned. And def something we as a
community should respect any such documents at least when they’re valid (,
like having Alan Turing as your successor maintainer wouldn’t make sense or
similar manner of stuff )