[Haskell-cafe] Proposed "Restructuring" of State Monad page in Haskell Wikibooks

Jaro Reinders jaro.reinders at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:37:17 UTC 2020

I think part of the reason is that most mainstream languages are very similar
(imperative, strict and impure) and Haskell does many things radically
different. I also think that focused study can bring down the time to become
productive significantly. I have personally started learning Haskell by doing
hobby projects when I had the time. Studying and using Haskell full-time would
certainly have sped up my learning progress.

I would also like to point out that language usage statistics are not reliable.
The TIOBE index, based on number of search results by popular search engines,
indeed puts Haskell below the languages that you mention, but for example the
RedMonk rankings put Haskell above those languages, both by the number of Stack
Overflow questions and by the number of GitHub projects. The PYPL PopularitY
ranking, based on the number of Google searches for language tutorials, puts
only Cobol above Haskell (the other languages are not listed).