[Haskell-cafe] Readable Haskell

Misja Alma misja.alma at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 15:02:41 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have been writing Haskell in my spare time for a couple of years now, but
when I showed some code lately to a friend he remarked that he didn't find
it very readable. Actually I agree, when I look at my own code of a couple
of months old I have trouble figuring out too what exactly it is doing.

I'm coming from a Java and Scala background and there, especially for Java,
are some generally accepted best practices that make sure that your
teammates don't have too much trouble reading your code. E.g. write short
functions with a single responsibility, use variable, class and function
names that explain what they are meant for, etc.

I think some of those best practices, like short functions with single
responsibility, are useful for Haskell as well. But Haskell is a different
language than Java and has its own strong points and pitfalls regarding
readability, so it probably needs different coding standards as well.

I have been looking on the Internet if I could find some tips about
improving readability but all I could find was http://www.haskellforall.com/.
Although there are some useful tips in there, this site seems to be aimed
at making Haskell easier to read for newcomers from other languages. What I
am interested in are tips from real projects that are built by real teams.
Does anybody have any tips, or are there some sites or books that I could
read about this topic?

Thanks,
Misja