[Haskell-cafe] Are explicit exports and local imports desirable in a production application?

Isaac Elliott isaace71295 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 22:06:14 UTC 2020

I don't think that it's unreasonable in general to expect people to explore
a codebase via IDE tooling. But given Haskell's current situation on that
front, I currently agree with your approach to Haskell imports/exports.

Ignat, I agree with you that explicit imports/exports involve unnecessary
typing. I call this "busywork". Explicit exports still seem valuable for
encapsulation, avoiding name clashes, and in the case of GHC they unlock a
bit more optimisation.

In this case I think that we should automate that busywork, and hopefully
the recent Haskell IDE work gives us a path in that direction.