[Haskell-cafe] Are explicit exports and local imports desirable in a production application?

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Thu Sep 17 17:53:11 UTC 2020

Dear Ignat,

have you seen
https://wiki.haskell.org/Import_modules_properly
https://wiki.haskell.org/Qualified_names

I find the arguments convincing. Even in my own packages I sometimes
get lost where a certain function was imported from. When neither
exports nor imports are done explicitly, you usually have only two
choices:
1. search all sources (e.g. with grep -l)
2. rely on the haddock index
Maybe your IDE can do that for you, but you can't expect all downstream
users or all your colleagues to do the same.

-- Olaf