[Haskell-cafe] TypeApplications and Proxy

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Mon Sep 14 22:04:45 UTC 2020

I would say that TypeApplications is stable enough, and that the ordering of type variables is reliable enough.

But, sadly, we can't quite get rid of Proxy yet. Here's a very contrived example:

type family F a
hr :: (forall a. F a -> ()) -> ()
hr _ = ()

In the body of the lambda there, it is impossible to bind the type variable `a` with any Haskell construct. The workaround is to use Proxy in the type of hr. I don't know another way to do it.

So I'm all for removing other uses of Proxy, but I don't think we should quite drop it from base, yet.

Proposal #155 (https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/155) is in this area, but it's not yet implemented.

Richard