[Haskell-cafe] Constraints as a moveable feast?

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Sep 1 21:18:40 UTC 2020

I see the core idea as a fairly straightforward generalization of the "Partial Type Constructors" work -- except that I wouldn't phrase any of this as "floating out".

In a few places, you've expanded Point a as Num a => (a, a). But Point a is *not* the same thing as Num a => (a, a). Indeed, you didn't define it that way. Instead, we should understand Point a to expand to (a, a) only when Num a holds. So, the occurrence of Point a causes a Num a constraint to arise. These Num a constraints then get put into the type. No floating.

Note that types like `(Num a => a) -> a` and `Num a => a -> a` (both very valid today) mean quite different things, just as `(a -> a) -> a` and `a -> a -> a` mean different things.

I think by rephrasing this without floating, we avoid the trouble with existentials, etc., that you are worried about.

Personally, I would tack this onto "Partial Type Constructors" instead of trying to make this happen independently, but the two features would go nicely together.

Richard