[Haskell-cafe] Panmusic?

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Thu Oct 29 22:47:29 UTC 2020

Hi.

With all this recent talk of parsing, and me being in the process of
redoing my homepage with Hakyll (read, Pandoc) I can not help but think
of a long-term project of mine.  I've written two different programs to
handle braille music code.  FreeDots[1] (Java) which converts MusicXML to Braille
Music Code, and BMC[2] (C++) which converts Braille Music Code to LilyPond and
MusicXML.  Combining the insight that Haskell is perfect for writing
compilers, and Pandoc being one of the most successful Haskell
applications, I can not help but wonder: Maybe I am after Panmusic?

Before another wasted attempt of stupidly reinventing the wheel,
I need to ask: Is anyone working on the universal music notation converter
in Haskell?  If not yet, would you be interested to?
The colest thing I know to a versatile format converter right now
is music21[3].  However, I'd much rather see this job done
in Haskell then in any other language.

[1] https://github.com/mlang/freedots
[2] https://github.com/mlang/bmc
[3] https://github.com/cuthbertLab/music21