[Haskell-cafe] Psa : perhaps time for maintainers to start migrating off Travis ci

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Nov 17 06:18:59 UTC 2020

Careful about Github.
It's currently OSS-friendly, but MS sometimes changes strategies
abruptly, so they might move away from OSS, and much faster than Travis.
Plus the more of Github's features you use, the harder it will be to
migrate away from them when that happens (harder than with Travis).

Maybe Gitlab is a viable alternative. At least the licensing is easier -
the server code is MIT.
They do dual licensing (Community and Enterprise Edition), so they could
become "too commercial" over time, but if/when that happens, there's
always the MIT-licensed Community Edition that can be taken over by
volunteers for development. (Which in turn makes going full commercial
less attractive for them, so it's a bit of a self-inhibiting prophecy.)

(Disclaimer: I have no stake in the issue either way.)