[Haskell-cafe] Psa : perhaps time for maintainers to start migrating off Travis ci

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:02:52 UTC 2020

Hey everyone: it looks like, from my perspective and experiences, that
Travis ci should perhaps now be viewed as not open source friendly. Or even
converging on hostile?

1) crazy long queue times/ latency for oss ci actions to run

2) very low concurrency on oss builds.

3) very low build build  minute caps for oss that require high touch
customer support contact to adjust.

I’ve started moving my own projects slowly to gh actions for now, though
there’s also gitlab ci , src hut and other options that may suit different
folks.

There’s definitely some ways to keep on having the clever cabal caching we
know and love that folks like the Haskell-ci folks and others have hacked
out for Travis be available on other platforms, though I don’t think
there’s consolidated docs for those yet ?  Def seen it discussed though.

https://github.com/haskell-CI/haskell-ci/issues/411

Heres a url to my dupe ticket where I share an example naive use of the
setup Haskell gh actions Config, definitely not perfect. But kinda amazing
to have Mac and Linux and windows ci all in one ! :)