[Haskell-cafe] Reading Haddock sources on hackage no longer possible with simple browsers?

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Sat Nov 14 15:32:22 UTC 2020

Hi.

I have been using Lynx to read stuff on hacakge for a long time.

I recently noticed that it is no longer possible to read the source of a
module, because extra type information (which is likely hidden in a
modern browser) is inline with the actual sources.  This makes the go to
source feature effectively useless.  An example (from the ISBN package):

    deriving (Int -> ISBN -> ShowS
    [ISBN] -> ShowS
    ISBN -> String
    (Int -> ISBN -> ShowS)
    -> (ISBN -> String) -> ([ISBN] -> ShowS) -> Show ISBN
    forall a.
    (Int -> a -> ShowS) -> (a -> String) -> ([a] -> ShowS) -> Show a
    showList :: [ISBN] -> ShowS
    $cshowList :: [ISBN] -> ShowS
    show :: ISBN -> String
    $cshow :: ISBN -> String
    showsPrec :: Int -> ISBN -> ShowS
    $cshowsPrec :: Int -> ISBN -> ShowS
    Show, ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool
    (ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool) -> (ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool) -> Eq ISBN
    forall a. (a -> a -> Bool) -> (a -> a -> Bool) -> Eq a
    /= :: ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool
    $c/= :: ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool
    == :: ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool
    $c== :: ISBN -> ISBN -> Bool
    Eq)

I know Haskell has a ton of extensions, but I am pretty sure nobody
writes code like this :-)

This is, frankly, pretty horrible.   Can something be done to fix this?

(I am aware that certain modernisations are unstoppable.  However, this
one looks like a bug.)

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕