[Haskell-cafe] What to call Occult Effects

Michal J Gajda mgajda at mimuw.edu.pl
Thu Nov 12 13:30:15 UTC 2020

Dear Kim,

This was not intended as caricature at all. But it seems an excellent
example of x-y problem indeed.
When asking for a real life examples, I provided a case when I can
provide example that is familiar to most readers:

T = Types
i = infer :: object -> type
c = check :: type -> object -> Bool

Laws just make sure that type checking is preserved over unification
or anti-unification (<>),
except for commutativity - which is omitted on purpose (further
description here: https://arxiv.org/abs/2011.03076.)

Naturally this example just enumerates the laws that are true for both
unification and anti-unification problems.

Your question would be however fitting for ICFP 2021 trivia, since
without examples provided by other haskell-cafe readers
I would not have guessed that you want to mean "occlusion", instead of
magic of "occult" here.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 2:33 AM Kim-Ee Yeoh <ky3 at atamo.com> wrote:

> (I'll respond with the original subject heading and with the full thread of Michal's reply copied below so that the convo stays in one place.)
>
> Hi Michal, I'm afraid you caricaturize my original email out of proportion here:
>
> > class Monoid m => T m o where
> > i :: o -> t
> > c :: t -> o -> Bool
> <snip>