[Haskell-cafe] When did it become so hard to install Haskell on Windows?

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Tue May 12 06:59:04 UTC 2020

On May 11, 2020 at 10:52:36 AM, Michal J Gajda (mgajda at mimuw.edu.pl) wrote:

>  3. To enter relevant command line in admin PowerShell so that
Chocolatey installs GHC.
>  4. Ditto for Mingw (3 attempts, since I think default Mingw package
lacks full build environment.)
>  4. Ditto for every dependency of my Haskell package. (Is there a way
to get standardized library dependencies across the platforms? Drop me
a line if it is at all possible without Nix.)

I’m confused. When you used chocolatey, why did you not run “choco install
haskell-dev” as suggested on https://www.haskell.org/platform/#windows  (and
i imagine everywhere else)? This should have installed ghc, msys2 and cabal
for you at once.

Further what do you mean "Ditto for every dependency of my Haskell package”
— do you mean haskell dependencies or c dependencies? If the latter, how is
this different than any other OS? Also, why were you installing c
dependencies with chocolatey, if that’s indeed what you were doing? With
msys2 the way to do things is install them with pacman.

Perhaps what is needed is just better and more centralized documentation?

-g