[Haskell-cafe] Using State monad with lens

Emily Pillmore emilypi at cohomolo.gy
Sat Mar 21 16:33:43 UTC 2020

Normally, you'd write `gets` to access entries in your state environment according to some function (e.g. record accessors), but since `some_property` is itself (presumably) a `Lens` or `Getter`, you should be able to use the lensy-State accessor `use`( https://github.com/ekmett/lens/blob/e06c171840bbe86c789b8dff8c8211b88ac9211e/src/Control/Lens/Getter.hs#L347 ). Then, your script becomes:

```

myFunc :: StateT MyState [ResultType]
myFunc = do
  p ← use some_property

  case p of

    True → do my_value .= "Hello"

    False → do my_value .= "Goodbye"

```

`use` works in the same sense that `view` does for `MonadReader r m ⇒ m`. It even has an analog to `preview` called `preuse`, which you can use for `Prism`s in your state environment.

Cheers, hope that helps,

Emily