[Haskell-cafe] Help with async library and killing child processes

Patrick Chilton chpatrick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 03:01:04 UTC 2020

> Is there a way to get the result of "either of three calls to getUrl" as
> opposed to "all three calls"?
> 'Cause that's what Mike seems to want.

That's what the Alternative instance of Concurrently is for. The result of
`doA <|> doB` is the result of the argument that finished first. (<|>) =
race.

firstResult <- runConcurrently (Concurrently (getURL "url1") <|>
Concurrently (getURL "url2") <|> Concurrently (getURL "url3"))

or

firstResult <- runConcurrently $ asum $ map (Concurrently . getURL) [
"url1", "url2", "url3" ]