[Haskell-cafe] Data.Map - visiting tree nodes withi a given key range ?

Compl Yue compl.yue at icloud.com
Mon Mar 16 09:51:05 UTC 2020

Maybe off topic, my work environment deals with datasets sized 20~200
Giga Bytes, consisting of small time series arrays mostly, I offload the
compression (and dedup) work to ZFS (by deploying a SmartOS storage
server managing a dozen of spinning disks with several TB capacity.

Many computing nodes run a local FUSE mount viewing those data files
over network, as if being part of a virtual large data file in local
filesystem, and access (mostly reads, small fraction of writes) the data
via mmap. This way, parallel processes run on multi CPU cores of a
single computing node share the OS' kernel page for cache of the
dataset, a program just assumes random access to the whole dataset as
available at somewhere within its virtual address space.

Giving just enough physical RAM (in order to prevent thrashing) to the
storage server and computing nodes (my env currently have a typical size
of 128GB per node), this achieves both simplicity of programming and
efficient use of processor/memory/storage resources.

This architecture should scale well to datasets of a few TBs.