[Haskell-cafe] Using GHC option '-optl-static' causes segfault

Jack Kelly jack at jackkelly.name
Wed Mar 11 02:06:16 UTC 2020

Nutr1t07 <nutr1t07 at outlook.com> writes:

> On 3/10/20 5:21 PM, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
>> that's right, you cannot statically link against glibc, especially not networking code, without getting crashes.
> Sorry to mention again, but I wonder why cannot link *especially
> networking code*? Because if I remove the networking part of my codes
> it seems to run well.

It's because glibc's NSS (name service switch) relies on dynamic linking
whatever you do.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3430400/linux-static-linking-is-dead

See also `info libc "Name Service Switch"` on a system with texinfo
installed, or the corresponding node in the glibc documentation online.

-- Jack