[Haskell-cafe] transcoding - Haskell?!

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Jun 14 10:25:51 UTC 2020

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Am 12.06.20 um 21:51 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
>
>> It could have its use to convert legacy code in legacy languages to
>> shiny new Haskell code. :-)
>
> Well, the AI would have to know what "shiny" code is.

I thought that this is the point of the AI approach and the training.

> Otherwise, you'll just get a C++/VB/Cobol program written in Haskell.

This would still be helpful. Imagine we transcode LAPACK to Haskell. It
would be still FORTRAN or C encoded in Haskell with the same old FORTRAN
API, but we can easily generalize the code to any floating point number
type that any Haskell library provides, e.g. numbers with extended
precision, with decimal numbers or with interval arithmetics.