[Haskell-cafe] transcoding - Haskell?!

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Jun 14 10:09:24 UTC 2020

Am 12.06.20 um 19:44 schrieb Branimir Maksimovic:
> It would choke on assembler as well. Digital computer hard AI is
> impossible, because there is no
>
> algorithm for making algorithms. Mathematicaly impossible...

You know you *can* work with undecidable algorithms. You put a resource
constraint on them and let them declare "don't know", which then can be
handled appropriately. There's even software that works like that in
practice, nowadays - register allocators in compilers, query plan
optimizers in databases, travel route optimization software, sheet
cutting software for irregular shapes, various types systems, proof
exploration software, etc.
These work by trying out various options and returning "don't know
whether this is the optimum, but it's the best I could find with the
available resource limits", and with good heuristics, it's still good
enough.

So the undecidability is not important here.
You need a good heuristics.
And AI can be good about heuristics.
So this aspect is not the one that's messed up about the idea.

Regards,
Jo