[Haskell-cafe] Looking for a paper [Dijkstra-Dot]

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Fri Jun 5 11:05:24 UTC 2020

Hi Michael, I apologise if I'm being dumb, but that ewd.pdf is not a
'publication' and is not by Dijkstra, right?

It's taking some of the ideas from Dijkstra's EWD1300, but misapplying them
to Haskell in a rather badly-informed way.

After all, Haskell already has a 'Application Operator' spelled ($), which
is perfectly first-class and with which you can do the equational reasoning
(with lambdas) that the doco is talking about.

Also it doesn't seem to know Haskellers very well; nor Dijkstra's
well-known support for Haskell in education.

There's other bits and pieces of 'Publications' on that the-magus site;
including spoofs of Dijkstra which can't even spell his first name right. I
rather suspect the ewd.pdf is a spoof that didn't turn out very funny. So
altogether it's a couple of dudes shooting the breeze.

AntC

*>> On 4/9/19 10:41 AM, jaro.reinders at gmail.com
*>>* I found it:
https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/transcriptions/EWD13xx/EWD1300.html
<https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/transcriptions/EWD13xx/EWD1300.html>
*>>>

* Thank you, this is obviously also relevant, but it's not the one I'm
*

* remembering. The notation is the same, though, so this explains what I'm
*

* looking for (and is also an interesting read).
*

http://www.the-magus.in/Publications/ewd.pdf