[Haskell-cafe] Library maintainers: Include your library in CodeWorld web-based Haskell environment

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:07:38 UTC 2020

Thanks for the questions.

1. Yes, network I/O is excluded.  The only real exceptions here are
stdin/err/out, and code that's specifically written to work in GHCJS, such
as JavaScript.Web.XMLHttpRequest and JavaScript.Web.WebSocket modules in
ghcjs-base.

2. Depending on bytestring is fine, because it has a shim that makes it
work with GHCJS.  I believe
https://github.com/ghcjs/ghcjs/tree/ghc-8.6/lib/boot/shims is a list of
shimmed libraries that you don't need to worry about depending on.

3. Exporting inessential TH features is fine.  It's just that people
attempting to use your library via CodeWorld won't be able to use
them, since CodeWorld's web interface will refuse to build anything that
enables Template Haskell.

It looks like your project is completely excluded only because of the
network I/O.  If the network I/O is not necessary and you could exclude the
dependency using a combination of "#ifdef ghcjs_HOST_OS" in source and "if
impl(ghcjs)" in the cabal file, then it could still work.  But, of course,
of the network I/O is the whole point, then it's not going to work out.
JavaScript