[Haskell-cafe] Best ways to achieve throughput, for large M:N ratio of STM threads, with hot TVar updates?

Ryan Yates fryguybob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:03:42 UTC 2020

Hi Compl,

Having a pool of transaction processing threads can be helpful in a certain
way.  If the body of the transaction takes more time to execute then the
Haskell thread is allowed and it yields, the suspended thread won't get in
the way of other thread, but when it is rescheduled, will have a low
probability of success.  Even worse, it will probably not discover that it
is doomed to failure until commit time.  If transactions are more likely to
reach commit without yielding, they are more likely to succeed.  If the
transactions are not conflicting, it doesn't make much difference other
than cache churn.

The Haskell capability that is committing a transaction will not yield to
another Haskell thread while it is doing the commit.  The OS thread may be
preempted, but once commit starts the haskell scheduler is not invoked
until after locks are released.

To get good performance from STM you must pay attention to what TVars are
involved in a commit.  All STM systems are working under the assumption of
low contention, so you want to minimize "false" conflicts (conflicts that
are not essential to the computation).    Something like `TVar (HashMap k
v)` will work pretty well for a low thread count, but every transaction
that writes to that structure will be in conflict with every other
transaction that accesses it.  Pushing the `TVar` into the nodes of the
structure reduces the possibilities for conflict, while increasing the
amount of bookkeeping STM has to do.  I would like to reduce the cost of
that bookkeeping using better structures, but we need to do so without
harming performance in the low TVar count case.  Right now it is optimized
for good cache performance with a handful of TVars.

There is another way to play with performance by moving work into and out
of the transaction body.  A transaction body that executes quickly will
reach commit faster.  But it may be delaying work that moves into another
transaction.  Forcing values at the right time can make a big difference.

Ryan