[Haskell-cafe] How does the RTS "know" about ExitCode

Utku Demir lists at utdemir.com
Wed Jul 15 21:11:42 UTC 2020

I also didn't know that, so I looked at the source, and found out that GHC has a wrapper[1] around `main` which (besides a few other stuff) is responsible for catching exceptions including the ExitCode and figuring out the appropriate exit code. In order to actually exit the program, `shutdownHaskellAndExit` C function from RTS [2] is called from there which takes the exit code as a parameter.

This was good to know, thanks for the question!

Utku

[1]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/blob/ae11bdfd98a10266bfc7de9e16b500be220307ac/libraries/base/GHC/TopHandler.hs
[2]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/blob/ae11bdfd98a10266bfc7de9e16b500be220307ac/rts/RtsStartup.c#L554