[Haskell-cafe] Teaching High-School one-semester FP (using Haskell)

Allen Sobot chilledfrogs at disroot.org
Wed Dec 16 20:16:48 UTC 2020

I hope this will remove duplicate recipients, not entirely sure how to properly reply on this mailing list (and mailing lists period really) yet, sorry if I screwed something up...

God how I would have loved to have a Haskell (or any programming) course in high school πŸ˜…

Further remarks inline, and best of luck to you and your students, have fun

On December 16, 2020 8:59:44 p.m. GMT+01:00, Zachi Baharav <zachi at baharav.org> wrote:
>Thanks everyone for the insights and suggestions!!
>I will now have the 2-weeks of XMas break to come up with something.
>
>Two notes:
>1. Problem set: We might use these https://cses.fi/problemset/  . We did
>many in Java. I think doing the same ones in a different form will be
>educating.
That's actually a great idea, I'll remember that when I start teaching one day πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

>2. Remote-learning: I don't want to open a whole-new can of worms, and this
>is not the list for this, BUT, remote learning certainly influenced my CS
>classes as well (to my surprise!).   Keep in mind I am talking high school,
>where in normal-years they will have about half of our time together to
>work. I would then go around, help people, see where they are, they can ask
>me questions. 'Lab' kind of thing. We do not do that now (less contact time
>to start with), and moreover, working-remotely for high-schoolers is
>remotely-working. So I will need to consider this as well for my planning.
You might want to consider, maybe, Repl.it for its collaborative online coding facilities which might come in handy in this context. For community stuff, of course Discord or Zulip are in my opinion great choices for questions and answers, and Discord has great screen sharing and voice chat as well, idk about Zulip enough on that one though πŸ˜… but both require time and experience to set up properly and securely; your students might be able to help you with that for Discord if you don't have experience with it yourself.