[Haskell-cafe] [HF-discuss] Do something about Cabal?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Dec 11 15:24:06 UTC 2020

Am 11.12.20 um 10:50 schrieb Bardur Arantsson:
> FWIW, I do try to do this for my packages, but I'm very confident that
> all of my packages probably have misleading lower bounds.
>
> It seems to me that some automated tooling is needed here, e.g. to try
> building/testing with e.g. all deps at the lower bound, all deps at the
> highest bound, etc.

With indirect dependencies, you can run into combinatorial explosion
problems (number of combinations is roughly exponential with dependency
chain length, give or take a few orders of magnitude).

Just something to keep in mind when discussing design alternatives.
(I don't know what designs would even make sense, or what kinds of
metadata would be available to help guide version selection.)

Regards,
Jo