[Haskell-cafe] [HF-discuss] Do something about Cabal?

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Thu Dec 10 13:16:44 UTC 2020

Il 10 dicembre 2020 alle 16:23 Ignat Insarov via hf-discuss ha scritto:
> * User experience is an afterthought.
>  […]
> * Features are not being introduced.

I am not a power user, but in the last years — from the
introduction of new- commands — I have enjoyed using cabal very much.
Also each time I download a new version I see small little things added
(a working v2-install, projects, etc.) and updated documentation.

>   There is no reason for two build tools to exist. The killer feature of Stack —
>   snapshots — should be supported by Cabal.

As far as I know, this is already possible today! [1]

>   Personally, I reported several
>   issues to Cabal and every single time it resulted in sadness.

The few time I interacted with cabal/hackage developers — admittedly for
low-complexity issues — they were helpful. In one case some prodding was
necessary (and way less than e.g. with my bank, a service I pay for)
—F

[1] https://github.com/fpco/stackage-server/issues/232
    see also https://github.com/erikd/jenga/
             https://hackage.haskell.org/package/stack2cabal